We’ve been referencing the topic of revival frequently in our study of Nehemiah at HLS lately. Or, should I say, perhaps, I feel like the topic has been speaking to me lately. And it’s appropriate, too, because one of Christian Unions’ missions is to be part of ushering revival into our country through fervent Spirit-led prayer and the study of God’s Word. Then the question came up during one of my mentoring sessions with one of my students, “How does revival happen?”
Funny he should ask this, because we were about to study an example of how Nehemiah ushers a season of revival to the people of Israel. The wall was finished (6:15), and the new governor of Judah ordered the Word of God to be read aloud. It was a powerful moment. As it was read aloud by Ezra, the people responded in both an appropriate and inappropriate way: they stood to hear it and then they fell to their knees and wept. And they wept some more.
Here is where, I believe, the seeds of revival began. It all began with a return to God’s Word and His covenant. There would come a time to confess their sins and renew their part in the covenant the LORD had made with them. And then, revival would come to the people of Israel.
We trust that the foundation that we are laying at HLS, in our relentless study of the Word, and our commitment to the spiritual disciplines, prayer, and our JOY in the LORD will one day bring about revival here in our community!
Here are a few ways you can pray for and with us this month:
- Pray for revival along with us! We are fully aware that it should and may start with us, individually, as we return to God’s Word and confess our sins.
- Six incoming 2022 HLS students have expressed interest in the CU community! Please pray for them as they finish their current season and prepare to join the HLS community in the Fall.
- Pray that the CU community (15-17 students) continue to grow closer to one another and become bold in sharing their faith in Christ with their classmates.
- With the end of the semester and finals drawing near, please remember our students, specially our 1L’s, in prayers for wisdom, peace, and perspective—their value and worth do not come in a grade!
- Pray that God would continue to show CU at HLS favor in the sight of the administration.
Thank you for joining us in this work!
Christian Union at Harvard Law School