Five Crucial AspectsChristian Union was founded in 2002 to develop and connect transformative Christian leaders. The mission can be unpacked into five aspects. This is the fourth of the five.
Christian Union exists to develop men and women poised for leadership to champion culture change that honors God and blesses society. We need Christians to assume positions of leadership across many vocations and to take the part of (and continue to take up) issues of justice. Christians who are isolated in a "holy huddle" either socially or intellectually will not change culture.
Inspiring ExamplesHere are just a few examples of ways Christian Union ministry faculty and students have provided engaged and active Christian leadership:
- Courtney McEachon '15 organized what is now the annual Pro-Life Conference at Yale which aims to make the pro-life vision intelligible on college campuses that rarely hear this position.
- At Harvard, students involved with Christian Union annually engage the atheist/humanist student group on the nature of God, goodness, and suffering, in debates that attract hundreds of students.
- At Columbia, where some required classes include Scripture, but often treat it as mythology, ministry fellow Jesse Peterson, who is writing his doctoral thesis on Ecclesiastes, has had the privilege to share his knowledge with a class. The opportunity dovetails ongoing efforts to resource students with leading Christian scholarship.
- Owing to the high level of student-athlete involvement in the ministry, the Christian Union ministry directors at both Columbia and Cornell assumed chaplain roles to the football teams at their respective schools.
- Dartmouth’s student orientation department reached out to partner with the ministry’s well regarded student leaders in welcoming students.
- A student at Harvard Law School, Trenton Van Oss, penned an article for Harvard Law Review addressing religious liberty issues.
- University of Pennsylvania student Eric Hoover, and several other students involved in Christian Union, recently formed a pro-life group on campus.
You Can Make a Difference
- Pray for the hearts of those poised to lead society would turn to the Lord.
- Connect others to the ministry of Christian Union.
- Give generously to develop more godly leaders to transform American culture.